A Mission statement captures, in a few brief sentences, the essence of your Business's goals and the beliefs underlying them. It indicates what your Business is all about to your stakeholders, customers, employees, suppliers and the community.
The Mission Statement should purposefully define and represent your Business aspirations.
Deliberating on the following questions will generate a verbal picture of your Business's Mission.
- What business are you in?
- Reason why are you in business and what do you want for yourself/ family?
- What vital element will keep you motivated and energized in the pursuit of your business goals?
- Who are your customers and what can you do for them that will enrich their lives?
- What image of your business do you want to convey and how will you create the desired image?
- What is the nature of your products and services and what factors determine pricing and quality?How could this change over time?
- What level of service do you provide?
- What roles do you and your employees play?
- What is the essence of your relationship with your suppliers?
- How do you differ from your competitors?
- How will you utilise technology, capital, processes, products and services as aids to reach your goals?
- What underlying philosophies or values guided your responses to the previous questions?
Putting It All Together:
Crafting a Mission statement requires time, thought and planning. However, the effort is well worth it as the process of crafting it will help you solidify the reason for what you are doing and reinforce the motivations behind your Business.